TIDES Conference Report: Challenges and Opportunities in Oligo Synthesis
The TIDES conference brings together industry leaders and experts in the field of oligonucleotide therapeutics, providing a platform to discuss challenges, advancements, and future prospects. After attending this year’s TIDES event, I better recognize the pressing demands and supply chain difficulties faced by the nucleotide synthesis industry. My take on several of the key challenges and opportunities in the field is below.
- Demand for cGMP Nucleotide Synthesis Services: The demand for high-quality nucleotide synthesis services continues to outstrip supply, particularly for cGMP-grade materials. With the increasing development of nucleotide-based therapeutics, the need for reliable, scalable, and compliant manufacturing solutions has become paramount. Oligo Factory stands ready to meet this demand, ensuring the delivery of exceptional quality products to propel innovation in the industry.
- Challenges in Synthesizing Long Guide RNA Oligos: The synthesis of long guide RNA oligos, ranging from 100 to 150 bases, remains a challenge for the industry. Existing synthesis instruments often lack the fidelity and scalability required for efficient production. This problem has been exacerbated by the emergence of Prime Editing CRISPR, which demands even longer RNA oligos. Oligo Factory acknowledges this pressing issue and continues to invest in cutting-edge technologies and methodologies to overcome these limitations.
- Urgent Need for cGMP Guide Manufacturing: The success of companies like Intellia highlights the immense potential of CRISPR-based therapeutics. As the demand for long guide RNAs rises not only for non-clinical applications but also for at-scale cGMP guide manufacturing, the need becomes more urgent. Oligo Factory is committed to supporting the industry by providing efficient and compliant manufacturing solutions to meet the growing demand for cGMP-grade guide RNAs.
- Oligo Factory’s Expertise in Anti Sense Oligos (ASOs): Anti-Sense Oligos (ASOs) have revolutionized the therapeutic landscape, and companies like Ionis have played a pivotal role in their development. However, the demand for at-scale ASO manufacturing still outpaces supply. Leveraging our extensive experience in synthesizing ASOs, Oligo Factory is poised to support the industry by delivering high-quality ASOs efficiently and reliably.
- siRNA and dsiRNA: Effective Modalities with Manufacturing Challenges: Similar to ASOs, siRNA and dsiRNA have gained prominence as effective therapeutic modalities. While their relative ease of manufacturing offers advantages, the demand still outpaces supply. Oligo Factory understands the importance of addressing this challenge, and we stand ready to provide efficient and scalable synthesis solutions for siRNA and dsiRNA, empowering researchers and clinicians with the tools they need.
- Supply Chain Growth: The life sciences industry has witnessed a surge in chemical suppliers entering the space, providing a wide range of raw chemical inputs for nucleotide synthesizers. Most notably, the growth in the APAC region has helped alleviate some of the lingering supply chain difficulties exacerbated by the pandemic. This collaborative effort between suppliers and synthesizers has the potential to further strengthen the industry and enhance its resilience.
- Addressing the Demand for LNP Formulation Services: Liquid Nanoparticle (LNP) formulations play a critical role in drug delivery for various therapeutic modalities. However, the demand for LNP formulation services continues to far outstrip supply. Oligo Synthesizers and LNP Contract Development and Manufacturing Organizations (CDMOs) must work hand in hand to tackle this challenge effectively. Oligo Factory remains committed to collaborating with partners and contributing to the development of innovative LNP formulations.
By leveraging our expertise, investing in advanced technologies, and fostering collaboration, we aim to provide high-quality nucleotide synthesis services, bridge supply chain gaps, and empower researchers and clinicians with the tools they need to revolutionize the field of oligonucleotide therapeutics. Together, we can unlock the full potential of these exciting opportunities.